The 39th Annual General Meeting of the Institute of Town Planners Sri Lanka (ITPSL) was held on 27th March 2021. Adhering to the national health guidelines to reduce the risk of Covid-19 spread, the AGM was held as a Hybrid Meeting. The physical meeting was held at the ITSPL Corporate Office Building on Sarana Mawatha Colombo 7, whilst approximately 400 participants joined the AGM online via the zoom virtual platform.
The 39th AGM marked an important landmark in the history of the ITPSL, holding an Annual General Meeting in its own Corporate Office Building, at Sarana Mawatha, off Bauddhaloka Mawatha, Colombo 7.
Plnr Devsriyani Jayasundera was inducted as the President of the institute. The other office-bearers of the council elected at the AGM were
- Plnr. K.C Sugathapala (President-Elect),
- Plnr. WMA Bandara (Vice President),
- Plnr Priyani Navaratne (Secretary),
- Plnr. (Dr.). TGUP Perera (Assistant Secretary),
- Plnr. W.G.W. Gnanatheepan (Treasurer),
- Plnr. PHCS Rathansiri (Assistant Treasurer),
- Plnr. LJ Prasanna (Council Member),
- Plnr. (Dr) AB Jayasinghe (Council Member),
- Plnr. (Dr.) GPTS Hemakumara (Council Member),
- Plnr. Tharindu Abeyjeewa (Council Member)
- and Plnr. Chathura Paliskara ( Council Member)
The AGM adopted the minutes of 38th AGM, Secretary’s Annual Report – 2020/21, and Audited Statement of Accounts – 2020/21.
AGM received five resolutions on
(1) Membership Criteria: Improvements to the Fellow Membership Application Process,
(2) Membership Criteria: Membership Category,
(3) Membership Criteria: Appointing Mentors for Corporate Membership Applicants,
(4) Revision of Continuing Professional Development requirement for Membership Renewal, and
(5) Board of Education (BoE) examination procedure.
The AGM adopted the resolutions subjected to further comments by the membership and to duly communicate such amendments to the membership.
The outgoing President Plnr. Prof Jagath Munasinghe delivering his speech, recorded the achievements during the past two years, with particular reference to the progress of the head office construction and developing strong income base of the institute. The incoming President Plnr. Devsriyani Jayasundera, in her speech, remembered the services rendered by the senior members and the past councils. She recorded her intention to lead the institute to high professional status. The completion of the headquarters building and obtaining the approval for the “Service Minute” were two of the essential items on her agenda. She also stated that she would take all the steps to continue the activities initiated by the previous council.
The entire membership appreciated the dedicated contribution of Plnr. Piyal Silva in raising the building fund and the construction of the headquarters building. He was awarded a memento in appreciation of his service.